Join Musica Reginae as they welcome David Krakauer and his Acoustic Klezmer Quartet. David Krakauer is one of the most important and influential musicians in new Jewish music today and of the vital new wave of klezmer. He is known mostly for his amplified sound, pushing the boundaries of klezmer to include elements of jazz, rock, funk and hip-hop.
In this program, Krakauer will present acoustic versions of his original compositions, mixed with classic tunes from the traditional Eastern European Jewish klezmer repertoire. This will be an opportunity to hear Krakauer’s distinctive sound up close and personal, completely unplugged. The audience will bear witness to some incredible mind reading between four musicians who have been playing together for years.
The show begins with a free concert for kids, followed by an evening performance. Both concerts will be offered live and online, so if you cannot join in person, you can register to watch in the comfort of your home.
LIVE concerts take place at the Community House at the Church-in-the Gardens:
- 15 Borage Place, Forest Hills, NY 11375
- Proof of vaccination and ID required for entry
- PLEASE NOTE: As of April 2022 the venue and presenter will be checking ID and proof of vaccination to enter. As of the time of this listing the venue still requires masks to be worn indoors; however, we will follow NYC covid guidelines in place at the time of the event (5/1/22).
FREE Community Concert for Kids: “K is for Klezmer”
Sunday, May 1st at 5pm
What is Klezmer music? Where did it come from? Join us on our journey to discover what makes Klezmer music sound the way it does.
Register for Children’s Concert on Event Brite (FREE)
Sunday, May 1st at 6:30pm
Tickets: $20 Adults / $10 Students / FREE for children 12 and under
Purchase Tickets for evening concert on Event Brite ($10-$20)
Please mark your calendars for our final two events of the Spring, which will be featured as part of Queens Rising!
Sunday, 6/5/2022: Queens to Bali: Gamelan Yowana Sari
- Live at Flushing Town Hall. Queens College (CUNY)-based gamelan group, Gamelan Yowana Sari, led by director Frederick Trumpy, presents a program of Balinese music featuring a diverse repertoire, joined by traditional Balinese dancers. Presented as part of the Queens Rising celebration.
Saturday, 6/25/22: Cow Goes to the Opera
- MRP presents the world-premiere full production of an opera for children and families about a curious cow who goes to the Marche at the Opera Festival in southern France and falls in love with the lights and sounds of the concert stage. Based on an award-winning children’s book by Amber Spradlin.
Community Concerts for Kids
- Hosted by Beata Moon and Barbara Podgurski, with Special Guests, MRP presents a kid-friendly version of its late-afternoon and evening concert series. Community Concerts for Kids are FREE concerts and workshops, under an hour in length, offered on weekend afternoons.
More information and updates will be available on MRP’s Facebook page and website: www.musicareginae.org