038p1_xlg.jpg
www.forgotten-ny.com What is today known as "The Octagon" is in fact the crumbling remnant of Blackwell Island's first lunatic asylum, first constructed in 1839 and opened in 1841. It is just south of the park at the island's northern tip. Blackwell’s Island is now known as Roosevelt Island. 038p1_xlg.jpg


Copyright 1999-2018 The Service Advertising Group, Inc. All rights reserved.