2018-01-24 / Front Page

‘Laughing’ Road Rage Killer Guilty

By Liz Goff
A 54-year-old Connecticut man has been convicted in the July 2011 road rage murder and attempted murder of two brothers in Kew Gardens.

Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said defendant George Cupi, 54, of Shelton, Connecticut, double-parked his white van with Connecticut plates on Austin Street in Kew Gardens at about 8 p.m. on July 14, 2011.

A vehicle appeared from behind the van with Jovanny Adames, his wife and brother inside, Brown said. Adames beeped his horn several times, signaling the van to move and let his pass. When the van did not budge, Jovanny exited his vehicle and approached Cupi, who was behind the wheel of the van.

The men began arguing, and Adames’ brother, Roberto Adames, walked over and joined in the dispute until Cupi suddenly drove away, Brown said.

Cupi returned to the scene of the argument moments later, pulled a .38-caliber revolver and opened fire at the two brothers as they sat in Eight Oaks Park, located adjacent to where the men had argued.

Roberto Adames, 25, was shot three times in the chest and died a short while later at Queens Hospital Center. One round struck Jovanny Adames, 31, once in the face, Brown said. The bullet lodged in Adames brain, but he miraculously survived.

Cupi fled the scene and remained in hiding until Connecticut law enforcement officials received an anonymous letter stating that Cupi had committed a murder in Kew Gardens, Queens in 2011.

Eyewitnesses told police that the cold-blooded gunman laughed as he fired round after round at the victims, prompting investigators and the press to dub Cupi the “Laughing Road Rage Killer.”

Cupi was found guilty last week, after a two-week jury trial in Queens Supreme Court, of second-degree murder, second-degree attempted murder and first-degree assault and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon. He is facing a maximum of 50 years to life in prison at his sentencing on February 5.

“This was a senseless shooting,” Brown said. “The traffic dispute had ended and the defendant had left the scene, but instead of letting it go, he returned just minutes later to the same street. He shot both men as they sat in a park…and now faces the possibility of spending the rest of his life in prison.”

Return to top

Copyright 1999-2019 The Service Advertising Group, Inc. All rights reserved.