2017-12-06 / Features

Gunman Faces Life, In Ravenswood Revenge Murder


Nineteen-year-old Javyn McNish alleges that he was seeking revenge for a friend when he shot and killed Jerell Lewis, 20, on 12th Street in Long Island City on December 2.

McNish, who lives in the Queensbridge Houses and Lewis, who lived in the Ravenswood Houses, were rival gang members, a law enforcement source said.

Lewis got into a fistfight with a friend of McNish a while back, and when the pair crossed paths outside 14-01 36th Ave. at about 4 p.m., revenge turned into murder, the source said. McNish opened fire and pumped two rounds into Lewis’ torso and another into his hand.

Lewis was taken to Mount Sinai Queens, where he died moments later, an FDNY spokesperson said.

Eyewitnesses said McNish and two other men ran from the scene moments after Lewis dropped to the pavement. The trio headed for a building at 35-03 12th St., where they were holed up in a first floor apartment when police from the 114th Precinct arrived. The trio made no noise at first, as the cops tried to talk them out of the apartment and to surrender the weapon.

Officials at the 114th Precinct posted a message on their Twitter page advising motorists and pedestrians to avoid the area around the shooting while investigators gathered evidence.

The three gang members started talking when Emergency Service Unit (ESU) officers arrived at the scene, and agreed to give up a short while later.

McNish handed over the gun to ESU cops and admitted to shooting Lewis, according to a law enforcement source. The two other gang members were not charged, after surveillance footage recovered by investigators showed that McNish acted alone in the deadly shooting.

Jeremy Hall, 26, who lives in a row of nearby townhouses, said he and his neighbors were relieved when they saw that 114th Precinct officials had the situation in hand.

“They found the shooter, got the gun and took the guy away in a very short amount of time,” Hall said. “It was frightening. You don’t expect to hear gunshots outside your home here, but they handled the whole thing in a way that reassured us it was going to be OK.”

McNish was charged with second-degree murder and two counts of weapons possession at his arraignment at Queens Criminal Court, where he was held without bail. He is due back in court on December 18.

Queens District Attorney Richard Brown issued a statement saying McNish would be, “vigorously prosecuted.”

McNish is facing 25 years to life in prison if convicted.

Return to top

Copyright 1999-2019 The Service Advertising Group, Inc. All rights reserved.