2017-08-30 / Features

Historic Masonic Temple Of Flushing Set To Be Demolished In Near Future

Building Dates Back To 1905

The Masonic Temple in Flushing as seen in a postcard from 1939. The Masonic Temple in Flushing as seen in a postcard from 1939. Another historic structure of old Flushing is next in line for removal.

The Orthodox Meeting House and Cornucopia Masonic Temple are attached at the site, which is located at 137-66 Northern Blvd, sits upon land originally purchased by English colonists from the Algonquin Native Americans in the 17th century, when Flushing was a Dutch colony of New Netherlands.

During the Revolutionary War, the property was used as a blockhouse or guardhouse.

After the war ended, the site was bought by Orthodox Quakers for use as a secret meeting place. They built a meeting house there in 1827 which bordered the Quaker Meeting House during that era, which also saw a split in the religious group known as the Separation.

The Cornucopia Masons bought the site .They built their temple there in 1905, which the 1854 building was demolished to make room for.

They used the site until it was sold in the 1990s. The Siloam Reformed Church of New York ended up buying it.

The Landmarks Preservation Commission rejected protecting the site in 2014.

The owner of the site today, an LLC, will build 12 units in the planned eight-story structure, according to the real estate news website YIMBY. Retail, medical office and residential space is set to go there, and demolition permits were filed last year.

The building’s owner could not be reached for comment and no timeline for the teardown or construction could be found.

-Jason D. Antos

Return to top

Copyright 1999-2018 The Service Advertising Group, Inc. All rights reserved.