2017-08-09 / Front Page

Forest Park ‘Stun Gun’ Rapist Charged

By Liz Goff
DNA from a suspect in a Nassau County burglary has implicated the man in a 2013 attempted rape in Forest Park, police said.

Cops said the man, identified as Michael Andrade, 44, might also be responsible for five other sexual attacks in the same park, including the 2013 “stun gun” rape of a 69-year-old female jogger and the attempted sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl.
Andrade was arrested on August 2 and charged with attacking a 24-year-old woman on Forest Park in March 2013, police said.
NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said Andrade stun-gunned the 24-year-old victim after he encountered her on a bridal path in Forest Park on March 29, 2013. The victim fought back, in a struggle that led to Andrade’s arrest five years later.
“This one young lady struggled with him and actually pulled a beer bottle out of his back pocket,” Boyce said. The victim threw the bottle a few feet, where police later retrieved it as part of the crime scene, Boyce said. “That’s where we swabbed it and got the DNA that identified Andrade.”
Boyce said police retrieved DNA from another sex attack in Forest Park, which detectives believe will tie Andrade to that case and five others.
The Forest Park attacks started with the March 25, 2011 early morning attack on a 54-year-old woman jogger who was grabbed from behind by the suspect at Park Lane South The man threw the woman to the ground and attempted to strip off her pants, but she was able to fight him off and run away for help, police said.
The same man tried to fondle a 34-year-old woman in August 2011, as she walked near Park Lane South near Woodhaven Boulevard, police said. The man ran away when the woman screamed and fought him off.
The suspect struck again in April 2012 when he snuck up behind a 40-year-old jogger who was walking with her dog near Park Lane South and Myrtle Avenue, police said. The man touched the woman with his exposed genitals and fled when she screamed.
The same man also attempted to sexually assault a 13-year-old girl in August 2013, police said. The victim was walking near Myrtle Avenue and Park Lane South when the would-be-rapist grabbed her from behind, pushed her to the ground and tried to pull off her shorts, police said. The suspect fled, frightened, when the girl fought back.
The man struck last on August 28, 2013, when he snuck up behind a 69-year-old woman as she was walking in Forest Park near Myrtle Avenue. The man tasered the woman with a stun gun, pushed her to the ground, raped her and fled.
Police officials beefed up security in Forest Park assigning cops to patrol the park on horseback and patrol at strategic locations, including Park Lane South, Woodhaven Boulevard and Myrtle Avenue.
A reward offered for the capture of the suspect rose to $22,000 in the weeks after the rape of the 69-year-old woman.
Police said Andrade has a history of six arrests, one in New York City and five on Long Island. He was arrested on grand larceny charges in February 2015, after police spotted hum stealing copper from utility poles in Rockville Center, police said. “That’s the case that did it,” a police source said. “The police were able to obtain a DNA sample from Andrade at that time. That DNA was linked with a sample from the beer bottle and one other Queens attack, and they had him,” the source said. “The victim in the March 2013 attack actually set the wheels in motion that led to Andrade’s arrest.”
Andrade appeared sullen, his head bowed at his arraignment in Queens Criminal Court, where he was charged with attempted rape, robbery, assault and criminal possession of a weapon and was held on $2 million bond or $500,000 cash bond in the March 2013 attack.
An investigation is ongoing in the other attacks, police said.

Return to top

Copyright 1999-2019 The Service Advertising Group, Inc. All rights reserved.