2016-07-20 / Features

Freeze Your Rent With Astoria Restoration’s Help

The Astoria Restoration Association can help you freeze your rent.

Seniors or people on Disability who live in rent-stabilized or rent-controlled apartments can stop their rent from increasing by applying for the SCRIE or DRIE programs. The Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption Program (SCRIE) and the Disability Rent Increase Exemption Program (DRIE) will stop future rent increases, and give your landlord a corresponding tax credit against their real estate taxes from the City of New York. We at the Astoria Restoration Association can help you apply for these programs.

To qualify you must meet all of the following requirements:

1.Seniors must be 62 years of age or over; people on Disability must receive SSI or SSDI or Veteran’s Disability

2.Your rent must be at least 1/3 of your income

3.Your household income from all sources must be less than $50,000.

For an application and help in filing for these programs, visit the Astoria Restoration Association at 31-28 Ditmars Blvd. Office hours are 11 am to 4 pm, Monday – Friday. For further information call: 718-726-0034.

Documents you will need to apply:

- Proof of Income: Tax Return, or Social Security or Disability Award Letter, Pension and IRA 1099s

- Proof of Rent: Current and Previous Lease

- Proof of Age: Driver’s License, or Passport, or Birth Certificate

This assistance is made possible by the Astoria Restoration Association with funds from NYS Housing & Community Renewal, NPP Program, the Astoria Bank, TD Bank, and investors.

Return to top

Copyright 1999-2019 The Service Advertising Group, Inc. All rights reserved.