2016-05-25 / Front Page

Blaze Traps 7, Including 99-Year-Old Woman

By Liz Goff
An elderly Queens woman and her home health aide were hospitalized in grave condition on Saturday morning after they were trapped in a fast-moving fire tore through the woman’s Jackson Heights home.

The blaze broke out at about 6:20 a.m. on May 21, on the first-floor of the home at 30th Avenue and 70th Street, fire officials said.

Marjorie Idasiak, 99, who is bedridden and suffers from dementia, and her health aide were asleep on the first floor of the three-story wood building when the fire erupted, fire officials said.

Firefighters who arrived at the scene moments later spotted the women on the floor and dragged them from the building, a fire spokesperson said. The firefighters performed CPR on the women, who were rushed to New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center in grave condition. Both women suffered severe burns across a large part of their bodies, fire officials said.

Idasiak’s 90-year-old husband, Henry, who lives on the second floor, made it out of the building on his own 

Firefighters rescued a family of four, two adults and two children, from the third floor of the home. Firefighters found the family trapped on the third floor, near an open window in the rear of the home, a fire spokesperson said. The firefighters opened other windows and sheltered the family on the third floor until they could be safely escorted from the home, the spokesperson said.

Mohammed Abdelnaby, his wife, and children ages 8 and 10 were taken to Elmhurst Hospital Center where they were held for treatment of smoke inhalation, a fire spokesperson said. Henry Idasiak was treated and released at Elmhurst.

The elderly couple owns the home and rent the third floor to Abdelnaby, authorities said. Abdelnaby told firefighters there were no working smoke alarms in the house, a law enforcement source said.

The Idasiak’s have no children, authorities said.  Records show Marjorie Idasiak is just six months away from celebrating her 100th birthday.

More than 60 firefighters battled the blaze for 45 minutes until it was declared under control No firefighters were injured.

Fire marshals were combing through the charred remains of the home on Saturday to determine the cause of the blaze. Fire officials said the fire does not appear to be suspicious.



Return to top

Copyright 1999-2018 The Service Advertising Group, Inc. All rights reserved.