2016-04-13 / Front Page

Accomplice Confesses In Knicks Player Attack

By Liz Goff
A Brooklyn man arrested on an unrelated federal charge has confessed to his involvement in the December 2015 ambush attack on NY Knicks forward, Cleanthony Early.

A criminal complaint filed by prosecutors in Brooklyn Federal Court says Delvon Dowling, 22, admitted to federal agents that he participated in the attack on Early, who was ambushed shortly after he left the Citiscapes Gentlemen’s Club in Maspeth on December 30.

Early was attacked by at least four men who surrounded his Uber car and stole his $9,000 gold chains, his iPhone, cell phone and the gold caps from his teeth before shooting the Knicks player in his kneecap.

According to the complaint, Dowling told investigators he and his co-conspirators planned the heist in advance and traveled in three vehicles to the Maspeth jiggle joint.

Police said the men followed Early when he left the club in the early morning hours of December 30 and surrounded the Uber car a few blocks away from the club. The suspects ordered Early, his gal pal and the Uber driver out of the car at gunpoint and stole an iPhone, several cell phones, gold chains and gold caps from Early’s teeth, police said. The men also made off with several items from the car, including the driver’s license, police said. One of the men shot Early in the kneecap as the crew was leaving the scene, police said.

Dowling told investigators he was not one of the gunmen and said he remained in one of the cars throughout the attack, the complaint states. Following the attack, the group returned to Brooklyn where they split the proceeds from the robbery, prosecutors said.

Dowling said the crew gave him Early’s cell phones, which he sold for $40 each.

Dowling remains in federal custody without bail, prosecutors said. He is due back in court for a hearing later this month.

Police are still searching for a team of suspects who firebombed CitiScapes on January 31. Cops said the suspects were captured on surveillance footage parking a Nissan Altima about a block away from the club on the morning of January 31.

The suspects walked to the juggle joint carrying a red container of gasoline, a bottle and a cloth, police said. As they approached the club, one of the men tossed a paving stone through a club window while another poured the gasoline into the bottle, jammed the cloth inside and lit it. The man tossed the bottle through the broken window and ran from the scene, police said.

“They were apparently trying to destroy footage that could identify them in the attack on Early,” police said.

The NYPD Legal Bureau slammed the door on Cityscapes on March 3, after an investigation revealed the club has repeatedly violated laws prohibiting it from serving liquor to underage and obviously intoxicated patrons.

Return to top

Copyright 1999-2018 The Service Advertising Group, Inc. All rights reserved.