2016-02-17 / Features

NYPD Announces Plans For Major Reorganization

NYPD SATCOM centers will become a thing of the past under a strategic reorganization initiative soon to be announced by Police Commissioner William Bratton.

Police brass changed the name of the decades-old Patrol Borough Commands to SATCOM – Strategic And Tactical Commands in mid-2015 as part of an initiative in Queens designed to increase efficiency by giving precinct commanders direct access to resources available to specialized units, including gang, weapons and drug units.

Under a department-wide plan announced last week by NYPD officials, the SATCOMs will return to patrol borough status and SATCOM will no longer be effective as of March 1.

As part of the plan, an investigative chief will be assigned to each patrol borough command. The chiefs will report directly to NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce, rather than reporting directly to borough commanders.

News of the plan to eliminate SATCOM surfaced last week, during an internal review of crime statistics presented by officials at northern Queens’ 15 police precincts.

NYPD officials announced last week that the department is also changing its investigative operations in a reorganization initiative that will go into effect in March.

Under the new system, almost all NYPD investigative units will be placed under the control of the Detective Bureau, officials said. The NYPD Organized Crime Control Bureau (OCCB) will also be eliminated under the plan, investigative chiefs to be assigned will also report to Chief Boyce.

The changes are part of a restructuring process designed to help adapt NYPD crime fighting methods to new technology, police officials said.

The NYPD Intelligence Division, Internal Affairs Bureau and the Counterterrorism Bureau are not included in the reorganization, officials said.— Liz Goff

Return to top

Copyright 1999-2019 The Service Advertising Group, Inc. All rights reserved.