SculptureCenter Breaks Out Of Its Mold
The SculptureCenter announced on April 2 a renovation that aims to improve the quality of its exhibition spaces and visitor flow at its Long Island City facility.
Dubbed the “Building SculptureCenter Campaign”, the undertaking has an expected completion in fall 2014 and includes the following improvements: 6,500 square feet of flexible interior exhibition space that will accommodate work of diverse forms and scale; a 2,000 square-foot, one-story entrance lobby with bookshop, coatroom, seating area and restrooms; an elevator and stairway to the lower level galleries; a 1,500 square-foot enclosed courtyard for outdoor exhibitions and events; upgrades to electrical and mechanical systems; and office and storage space improvements.
The rehab will comply with all current building codes, including the Americans with Disabilities Act, and SculptureCenter will remain open during construction with some modification to its exhibition schedule and public hours.
It total, the project involves $4.5 million in building funds and $1.5 million in working capital and term endowments. Over half of the $6 million goal has been secured with funds provided by Queens Borough President Helen M. Marshall, Councilmember Jimmy Van Bramer, the city Department of Cultural Affairs, and SculptureCenter’s Board of Trustees.
“This is public money well spent,” said Marshall at the groundbreaking.
“Culture is an anchor, and you have been a great anchor,” Van Bramer added.
Founded by artists in Manhattan in 1928, SculptureCenter is New York City’s only contemporary art museum solely dedicated to sculpture. In 2001, SculptureCenter purchased its current venue, a former trolley repair shop built in 1908 with an enclosed outdoor lot, on Purves Street.