2012-09-05 / Features

DOE Opens Registration Centers Throughout City

The Department of Education (DOE) has opened 10 Student Registration Centers to enroll new students for the start of school. All new high school students or those reentering the system after an absence—both general education and students with disabilities— should register at a Student Registration Center in their borough of residence. New or re-entering general education elementary and middle school students without a zoned school should also register at a Student Registration Center in their borough of residence. New elementary and middle school students who have zoned schools should register at their zoned schools starting September 6. Parents can find their children’s zoned schools, the nearest Student Registration Centers, or Committee on Special Education locations by calling 311 or visiting the Department’s Web site at nyc.gov/schools.

Enrollment staff at Student Registration Centers will meet with students and their parents to facilitate registration. Interpretation services will be available at each center. All forms and parent materials will be available in English and translated into nine languages (Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, French, Haitian Creole, Korean, Russian, Spanish, and Urdu).

The Student Registration Centers will be open through Friday, September 14, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Parents must bring their children with them to register. In addition, the following documents are required:

•Proof of residence. Parents must bring any two of the following documents:

A residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident’s name and dated within the last 60 days;

Documentation or letter on letterhead from a federal, state, or local government agency indicating the resident’s name and address and dated within the last 60 days;

An original lease agreement, deed, or mortgage statement for the residence;

A current property tax bill for the residence;

A water bill for the residence dated within the last 60 days;

Official payroll documentation from an employer dated within the last 60 days, such as a form submitted for tax withholding purposes or payroll receipt (a letter on the employer’s letterhead will not be accepted).

•Child’s birth certificate or passport;

•Child’s immunization records;

•Child’s latest report card/transcript (if available);

•Child’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) and/or 504 Accommodation Plan (if applicable and available).

Student registration centers are located at Thomas A. Edison Career & Technical Education H.S. at 165-65 84th Ave. in Jamaica and Long Island City H.S. at 14-30 Broadway in LIC.

Parents of K-12 students who previously received special education services and do not currently have a New York City Individualized Education Program (IEP) should visit a Student Registration Center or a Committee on Special Education (CSE) location.

Return to top

Copyright 1999-2018 The Service Advertising Group, Inc. All rights reserved.