2011-09-07 / Features

Requirements For NYC School Registration Provided


Teachers in New York City public schools reported for duty on Tuesday, September 6. On that day and the day after, Wednesday, September 7, they attended professional development seminars and set up their classrooms in preparation for welcoming children for the start of the 2011-12 school year. On Thursday, September 8, the nearly 1,700 schools, including 700 elementary schools and 400 high schools with more than 600 programs, that make up the largest school system in the U.S. will open their doors for 1.1 million students.

If they haven’t already done so, new elementary and middle school students living near a zoned school should register at that school, beginning September 8, Parents can find their children’s zoned school by calling 311 or visiting www.schools.nyc.gov. Through September 16, the city Department of Education expects between 100 and 500 students to visit 12 temporary student registration centers citywide for enrollment of all new high school students or those re-entering the system after an absence, general education and special education students and new and re-entering general education elementary and middle school students without a zoned school. New elementary or middle school students who require special education placements should register at the special education enrollment site in their local school district.

In Queens, Long Island City H.S. at 14- 30 Broadway and Thomas A. Edison H. S. at 165-65 84th Ave. are the borough-wide registration centers. Special education placement enrollment sites are located at 28-11 Queens Plaza North, 5th floor, for Districts 24 and 30 and at 30-48 Linden Pl., 2nd floor, for Districts 25 and 26. The centers will be open five days a week through September 16 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Parents must bring their children with them to register. The following documents are required:

Proof of residence. Parents may bring any two of the following: a residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident’s name and dated within the last 60 days, documentation from a federal, state, or local government agency indicating the resident’s name and address and dated within the last 60 days, an original lease agreement, deed, or mortgage statement for the residence, a current property tax bill for the residence, a water bill for the residence dated within the last 60 days, an official payroll documentation from an employer dated within the last 60 days such as a form submitted for tax withholding purposes or payroll receipt. A letter on the employer’s letterhead will not be accepted.

Child’s birth certificate or passport.

Child’s immunization records.

Child’s latest report card/transcript (if available).

Child’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) and/or 504 Accommodation Plan (if applicable and available).

Interpretation services will be available at each center and all forms and parent materials will be available in English and translated into nine languages: Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, French, Haitian Creole, Korean, Russian, Spanish and Urdu.

Return to top

Copyright 1999-2018 The Service Advertising Group, Inc. All rights reserved.