Is Democracy Working?
To The Editor:
Are we endangering America?
Democracy is a system that lets 51 percent of the people demonize the other 49 percent, so thank God that we are not a democracy, as we are a Federal Republic whose voting system is democratic.
With that in mind, let's look at our voting system and examine the weaknesses of this democratic system. Our forefathers gave us a country with a Constitution and said, we give you a country, and it's yours to preserve or destroy. Thomas Jefferson said, "A nation that wants to be free and ignorant never was and never will be."
Let's now look at the voting that took place on this Super Tuesday: The blacks voted for Obama, the women voted for Hillary, the evangelists voted for Huckabee, the Mormons voted for Romney, the veterans and the industrial war complex voted for McCain.
Now let's see the results of the others who did not have a constituency: Edwards lost because he was a rich trial lawyer defending unpopular clients, Giuliani lost because he was divorced twice and cheated on his wife, Thompson lost even though he was a Constitutional scholar. Tancredo lost even though he understood the immigration crises better then any one else, and then there is Ron Paul, who will fight for the Constitution, limited government, individual freedom and a better economic system, but looks like a loving grandfather who could not be tough in a fight, although his toughness fighting in Congress for 10 years against any law that is not Constitutional or that limits our inalienable rights against the Democrats and his own party, the Republicans, as well, is still running but is being overlooked.
So how is our Democratic voting system working? Are we defending our Constitution? Are we voting intelligently, as Thomas Jefferson had hoped for? Or are we letting emotions, sympathies, race, gender and other meaningless impulses pick the leader of our country at this extremely dangerous crossroad in time?
Will America survive our ignorance? John Procida Flushing