New York Hospital Queens Today
A few years ago, the hospital, which today operates at an average of 97 percent of capacity, began a major modernization planning process so that it could add much needed acute care beds and improved access to cardiac and interventional services for the men, women and children in the Greater Queens community.
After a lengthy review process, the New York State Department of Health issued a Certificate of Need (CON) in December 2005. The granting of a CON demonstrated that the Department of Health recognized the real need for additional beds at New York Hospital Queens and showed the department's confidence that the hospital would properly care for those who go there for medical treatment.
A recent newsletter sent by Borough President Helen Marshall further illustrates the need for hospital beds throughout the borough. As she stated in that newsletter, Queens has traditionally suffered from a shortage of hospital beds. Further exacerbating that shortage has been the loss of 200 beds with the closing of St. Joseph's Hospital and the bankruptcy proceedings facing three additional hospitals in the borough.
The major modernization program at New York Hospital Queens is striving to compensate for at least some part of that shortage. The services offered at the hospital are the most comprehensive of any hospital in the borough, and recent admissions
statistics have shown that New York Hospital Queens is the "hospital of choice" for residents of the borough.
Unfortunately, the bed shortage problem cited by the borough president can only be expected to grow. In the last 10 years alone the population of Queens has grown by 12.5 percent, and the population of Flushing has grown by 10.2 percent. There are now more than 2.2 million residents in Queens, with 242,000 living in the Flushing area. Those trends are expected to continue through the next census and beyond.
Clearly, every single one of those people-together with those who are visiting, working, or just passing through the borough- need and deserve access to high-quality health care close to home, the same care that New York Hospital Queens provides.
More than 30,000 patients were discharged from New York Hospital Queens in 2005. The hospital is a state Department of Health-designated stroke center. It has one of only four regional trauma centers in the borough, and had more than 72,000 visits in 2005. It has the only Level III Neonatal Intensive Care and Pediatric Intensive Care Units located wholly in Queens. In the 2006 edition of New York Magazine's "Best Doctors" survey, 96 doctors from New York Hospital Queens were included in this prestigious list.
Further, the hospital recently instituted "Team Blue" in its Obstetrics Unit. Thanks to the high level of acute care provided by the doctors, nurses and other medical professionals who are part of this team, there have been no maternal deaths from hemorrhage despite increases in the numbers of deaths in highrisk pregnancies at the regional and national levels.
The most recent admissions data for the hospital show that 75 percent of patients come from the surrounding area, a true measure of a community hospital. Equally important, the remaining 25 percent come from outside the area, often seeking medical care for ailments that is available in Queens only at New York Hospital Queens.
Clearly, New York Hospital Queens is a vibrant institution, providing employment for more than 3,000 people, with 1,500 attending physicians and access to high-quality medical care.
Facts About NYHQ
+ Emergency department visits surpassed 70,000 in 2005. That number is anticipated to grow to over 80,000 in 2006.
+ New York Hospital Queens became a New York state designated stroke center in 2005. Stroke is the fourth leading cause of death in Queens.
+ New York Hospital Queens has 17 ambulatory care sites for specialty and primary care throughout the borough. There were more than 100,000 ambulatory visits in 2005.
+ The average risk-adjusted mortality rate for cardiac surgery in New York state is 1.61. At New York Hospital Queens, the rate is 1.25.
+ For valve replacement, the average risk adjusted mortality rate is 6.43 in New York state. At New York Hospital Queens, the rate is 4.42.
+ Tthe hospital's rates in many other surgical areas are equally as good. They are contained in a report that was handed out at the Community Board 7 meeting.
Some additional facts:
The hospital currently has 439 beds. An additional 80 medical/ surgical beds will be added with the proposed plan.